Friday, May 23, 2008

Deep thought Thursday

I subscribe to Alyson Stanfield's Art Biz Blog and today's question was "How much affect do circumstance and location have on the type of art you make and the way in which you make it?"

What are your thoughts on the topic? And if you do not already subscribe to Alyson's blog, you should. The topics and writings have really been helpful to me. I am sure you will find something of interest there, too. http://www.artbizblog.com/

Below is my response.

I have had both large and small studio spaces. Never a room actually built as a studio, but one I have reserved as "my space" for creating. Right now "my space" has spread to the entire house much to my husband's dismay and need for order.

So I would have to say that my studio is wherever I am at the moment with art supplies and ideas on hand. What affects me more is my mood and energy levels which unfortunately swing from one extreme to the other at times. I have been reading a lot lately about how clutter and disorganization affect you so maybe getting a studio large enough and dedicating it to my work would make be produce more often. (Another big challenge as I still have to have a alternate job to pay the bills, which is probably another obstacle since it is also a creative job and drains my brain every day, but that is another story.)

Environment does play a part in creativity mainly because of the local market. But I try not to get wrapped up in making art for someone else since that is what I do to earn money (graphic design) while I am trying to transition to my real job (painting & mixed media). And of course, money always plays a part. Having become accustomed to a rather nice lifestyle, letting go of the perks is really quite frightening. It is a huge catch 22. And very frustrating, as all I really want to do is paint, read and just enjoy the beautiful world around me.

1 comment:

TammyVitale said...

Hi Linda - I see you have already taken to heart another of Alyson's suggestions: your art is your "real" job! Good for you! I have very much enjoyed browsing yourwebsite and I'm so there with you on the thoughtful Thursday thing - my art is somewhat contained upstairs, but in my studio area, husband keeps making the mistake of moving stuff out - and I just move over. =] Thanks for stopping by to read Alyson's interview on my blog! Isn't she great?!